Tuesday 16 August 2011

my sustenance...?

The air we breathe.

To choose air as my a sustenance may sound generic, but it is something we cannot go without for 6 minutes.
I found designing an architectural sustenance for air was quite difficult, due to its natural invisible character, 
so I looked at air from a different approach (other than the physical), to something which we so heavily rely on and take for granted... 

We pollute the air and cut down trees, which are the very lungs of our planet, and we replace it with concrete or farm land. From this perspective I began to visualize the future for our planet when clean air becomes scarce...







BRIDGE

I came up with the idea of creating a eco-green pedestrian walkway across Beach Road, reflecting its form from the shape of human lungs to convey the idea of nature to be the lungs of the earth.


My initial sketch of my bridge did not strike the idea of lungs vividly, as it posed to be more of the typical bridge  with greenery as the main facade, than the concept of lungs.


Here I developed my bridge to compose of a more organic form using curves which follow a familiar lung like structure. My tutor, suggested to have more vein like cross joints, rather than the chess board pattern. Initially I was stubborn to their advice, hence even ignored it, however after thinking through my tutors pep talk on architecture I realized  that I should be aiming to push myself to face greater challenges and as a student of architecture. I went away and developed my structure to reflect the veins of lungs.


Here is my finalized design with the vein like structures, found in lungs. It was time to start making the 1:1 model.



I used dell to hold up my vein facade.
Left: drill
Right: counter sink drill
I decided to make the veins a facade for the bridge and have the greenery below it.

 
Alas, my final 1:1 model.

MATRIX 2






No comments:

Post a Comment